Proper maintenance of wood poles (which includes inspection and application of remedial treatments) helps to increase the service life of your assets, providing many years of safe, reliable service, thereby reducing unnecessary or premature replacement costs.
Logsys Power Services pole inspection programs allow you to better manage the critical factors that determine pole performance – strength, load, and cost.
The keys to a successful pole inspection program are:
- Identifying decay & measuring wood strength defects
- Grading defects to keep a systematic record, which benefits maintenance programs
- Visual assessment of wood pole defects (i.e. splits, checks, burns) & attachments
- Visual assessment of vegetation clearances
- Estimating the pole’s remaining strength to determine pass/fail – Inaccurate strength calculations can be costly. A false fail can lead to unnecessary spending on restoration or replacement, while a false pass can create unsafe conditions that may lead to pole failures and costly damage and repairs. Osmose technicians use StrengthCalc® software which models the cross section of decaying poles in relation to the transverse loads. Both the severity and location of the decay in respect to wires and cables are taken into account. StrengthCalc incorporates precise section modulus calculations to provide the percent remaining strength for weakened poles. Logsys Power Services carries out FFE analysis on poles using O-Calc® software to calculate load and capacity of the pole.
- Applying effective remedial treatments to extend the safe, reliable service-life of the pole. Remedial treatment is the key to getting the most out of your investment. The use of remedial treatments will earn dividends via extended pole life and improved plant resiliency.